January 23, 2012

Gluten Free Breakfasts (Vegan)

I find the hardest thing about a Gluten Free diet is finding something to eat for breakfast every day. This is all the more difficult if you are Dairy free and Egg free too! I love breakfast. I have specific things that I like to eat, the entire meal is a comfort to me. So when a dietary restriction gets in the way of that comfort I get seriously annoyed and feel like everything is impossible ... not exactly the way I like to start my day.
So, I’ve been thinking that if I feel this way, and I’m not even a coeliac, I imagine that it might be a familiar feeling to others. Soooo, Over the next little while I am going to do some ‘What I had for Breakfast’ specials which will give some Allergen Free ideas to help start off our day.

Today, because I was recently asked to refrain from oats (my love!) my breakfast is a bit light. Generally I need a quality breakfast to consist of more than Gluten Free corn flakes in a bowl because I am prone to feeling weak if I don’t get something solid first thing. So, the task at hand was to make a light cereal breakfast of Rice Puffs into something a bit more solid which will last me until lunch so I added some Pea Protein to give it a bit more staying power.

1/2 bowl Kallo Natural Puffed Rice (the honey ones are divine but I’m being good so its plain today)
1 Banana, sliced
1 handful of Blueberries
1tbsp Pea Protein powder
Rice Dream

(This Breakfast is: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Oat Free, Dairy Free, Soya Free, Sugar Free, Corn Free, Tree Nut Free, Egg Free, Potato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian)

Today I actually had Kara Coconut Milk (which is considered a nut) only because I ran out of Rice Dream, but if you are going for the plain rice puffs and you don’t want to add a sweetener than I suggest a naturally sweeter Dairy Free milk like Rice Dream. Also, if you don’t like the ‘thinness’ of Rice Dream you'll be happy to hear that the protein powder thickens it up a bit.

Note about using Protein Powder: I use Pea Protein because it is Vegan as well as being Soya Free. Just sprinkle the powder over the cereal and then mix with your spoon before adding the milk to avoid clumping. Mix again after adding the milk and you shouldn’t have a problem.

That’s it, have a great & Food Allergy Friendly day!

No comments: