January 25, 2012

Moo Free’s Caramelized Hazelnut Dairy Free Alternative to Milk Chocolate

I feel like I’m slightly torturing anyone who is trying to be healthy right now (let alone myself!) but I just keep finding food allergy friendly chocolates and sweets! Believe me, I’m trying to hold back... wait for Easter... write about juices and detox programmes, but its impossible, I have to share! Moo Free, as I’m sure some of you have already noticed, have expanded their line to include flavours! So far I have seen a Cranberry and Hazelnut bar (which looked good, but perhaps a bit skimpy on the fruit & nut quanitity? - I like my chocolate packed to the brim) and a bar with one side coated in Caramelized Hazelnuts. And, since spotting these bars I checked out Moo Free’s website and found that there is also a Banana Chip bar -ooOOoo Ahhhhh! - all still Dairy Free and Gluten Free and all that fun stuff...

Today, however, I am focussing on the Caramelized Hazelnut bar because the warm brown packaging lured me in and I HAD to try it out...

- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Wheat Free
- Egg Free
- Corn Free
- Potato Free
- Vegetarian
- Vegan
- Soy Free (note: has a ‘may contain traces’ warning relating to soya)

The verdict: good. Not as amazing as I had hoped but still quite nice. My aunt tried a piece and also approved but we both agreed that we would like more of the caramelized hazelnut pieces (My aunt’s favourite bar is Dairy Filled Ritter’s Hazelnut which is literally jam packed with hazelnuts so we are coming from the same place). In my opinion, skimping on the filling, nuts, etc, is the downfall of almost all chocolates Dairy Free and Dairy Filled alike but that is not to say that Moo Free’s addition to the Free From marketplace is not appreciated - it is! It may not be perfect but I sure do get bored of plain Allergy Free chocolate bars or mint flavoured Allergy Free chocolate bars over and over again - so hip hip hooray!
And please, if you have tried them, what do you think? And what are the other flavours like?!


Moo Free Caramelized Hazelnut Bar

Ingredients: Sugar, Cocoa butter, rice powder, cocoa mass, hazelnuts (sugar, hazelnuts 37%), emulsifier (sunflower lecithin), natural flavouring

Nutritional Information:
Energy 2401kJ/576 kcal
Protein 3.8g
Carbohydrates 58.2g
of which sugars 46.8g
Fat 36.4g
of which saturates 20.1g
Fibre 5.2g
Sodium nil

No comments: