June 11, 2011

The Best of the Roasted Chickpea Recipes – A Very Allergy Friendly Snack

It seems that Roasted Chickpeas are sweeping my online reading nation and I don’t want to be left behind sooo…

My sister has been promoting store-bought roasted chickpeas for a long while but they are yet to stick. To tell you the truth, despite their amazing food allergy friendliness etc, etc, I think they’re a bit ‘yuck’. Just so dry and so not good...BUT...

Lately I have been noticing an internet feeding frenzy of roasted chickpea recipes. All of a sudden it seemed like everywhere I looked was yet another recipe and after my delightful success with the Roasted Tofu last week I thought that maybe freshly roasted chickpeas might actually be nice - stranger things have happened! It was Zen Habit’s quick recipe (I think I’ll try out his Kale crisps too some day soon!) and Glutenfreegirl’s colourful store bought chickpeas which broke me and made me look in the back of the cupboard for my can of garbanzos…

So what are chickpeas (if you‘re new to this game…)
Chickpeas also go by garbanzo bean, chana (north India), Indian pea, ceci bean and Bengal gram, but I think that Chickpea, Garbanzo and Gram are the most popular names around these parts anyway. They are a legume and are responsible for the popular gluten free ‘Gram Flour’. They taste AMAZing, especially in hummus, in which they are a main ingredient. This recipe is partly dedicated to my friend S. who I know to be a big Chickpea fan (I'll be sure to make it for you next time you come over!). They are also high in:
- Protein
- Zinc
- Folate
- Dietary Fibre

The roasted chickpeas I made ended up being
- Dairy free / milk free
- Lactose free
- Gluten free
- Wheat free
- Potato free
- Onion free (although I think that frying some finely chopped onion with the garlic might be nice if you can tolerate them)
- Vegetarian
- Vegan
- Sugar free
- Corn free
- Yeast free

Before I decided who’s recipe I would go with I had a little search through all of the most recent Roasted Chickpea recipes I had seen for flavour and process ideas so I could do a little cross reference and decide on the most appetizing.


What I decided was this:
- I knew that I didn’t like the dryness of my sisters snacktime friends so I decided to go with Zen Habit’s shorter cooking time of 15-20 minutes at the slightly higher heat of 220C to try and retain some of the moisture
- Markbittman’s recipe is the one that inspired my final product the most – I loved the idea of frying the garlic and garbanzo’s in the pan first and putting the lemon juice on towards the end- I LOVE lemon juice!
- Kalynskitchen’s Moroccan spice mix and FamilyFreshCooking’s seasoning ideas really got me thinking about some spices and flavours but then I remembered that I was limited to what was in my cupboard – so ground galangal, ground turmeric and cinnamon it was! There was cayenne too but luckily I passed on it because they somehow managed to come out fairly spicy as was.


Here’s what I did:

Ingredients
1 can Chickpeas or Garbanzo
Oil (Extra Virgin Olive or Sunflower is fine)
3 large Garlic Cloves
Sea salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Ground Galangal
Ground Turmeric
Ground Cinnamon
Lemon Juice

1. Heat a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a pan and mince 3 large cloves of garlic and sauté at a medium heat.
2. Add the drained, washed, dried, and de-skinned (just remove the loose skins) can of chickpeas, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and fry gently stirring frequently for about 5 or so minutes.
3. Transfer to a baking tray and place in the top of a preheated oven (220C) for 20 minutes. Tossing them around twice during that time:
1st toss after 5-7 minutes, season liberally with ground galangal, a little less ground turmeric and a light dusting of cinnamon, and a generous amount of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2nd toss after another 7 or so minutes, season again as above and drizzle lemon juice all over.
Return to the oven for another 5 – 10 minutes.


Have you tried a different way that worked out Grrreat?! Do share!

No comments: