March 1, 2011
It’s an awkward cycle from Terenure to Dun Laoghaire and my level of fitness is severely lacking compared to F’s avid cycling habits so by the time we hit Blackrock I easily devised a resting spot when I saw The Organic Supermarket – not only could we get something food allergy friendly for a picnic at 40 Foot but I could also take the time to truly examine what’s on offer in the Supermarket while my body recharged for the last leg of our journey.
The Organic Supermarket is EXACTLY what it says: Everything that is sold inside their walls is 100% certified organic and all of the usual supermarket sections are covered despite the seemingly small square footage. The shelves are high and the space is jam packed with a load of options for people with 'normal' and special dietary requirements. The main priority of the supermarket is to supply organic produce but it really doesn’t stop there because there are food allergy friendly options in most sections catering to (to name but a few):
- Wheat free
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Corn free
I found things that I have never seen anywhere in Dublin like Buckwheat Crispbread and Quinoa Crispbread and Spelt Dream milk and nut butters like pecan butter, a super seeds blend, and a mixed nut blend… And there are multiple options in every section which truly cover every category I can think of:
- baby food (extensive selection - not just 3 or 4 flavours)
- sweeteners (honey, agave, fructose, malt, rice)
- fruit & veg
- nuts & seeds
- spreads (jams, butter, chocolate, hummus, pate)
- milks (including dairy free: rice, almond, oat, quinoa, spelt)
- cured meats, cheese, eggs
- flours, baking mixes (including wheat free and gluten free)
- breads, cereals(including wheat free, gluten free and dairy free)
- pasta, rice, noodles (including wheat free, corn free, gluten free)
- snacks (chocolate, bars, crisps, crackers, biscuits)
- ice cream (including dairy free)
- toiletries, detergents, cleaners
- beverages (including freshly pressed orange juice)
- teas, coffees
- wine (extensive selection)
- oils, spices, sauces & marinades
- frozen food
- and even a grow your own garden section!
On close inspection I felt rather sheepish at how blind I had previously been to the extensive treasure chest that is The Organic Supermarket. I can’t believe that I was there before and failed to see the wonder that was stacked all around me!
If you are car-less like me there is a delivery service to your door through the internet for €6.50 which services all of Ireland (Northern Ireland and Southern)! Oh, and if you can’t get what you’re looking for The Organic Supermarket also has a ‘Request a Product’ feature on their website which boasts 292 product requests sourced out of 388 requested to date!
If you do take a little shopping trip to Blackrock some of the price tags might get you down but there are affordable options if you browse through the different brands and there are definitely a lot of products that you just simply can’t get anywhere else… The shop itself is visually quite pretty too which is a total added shopping bonus!
The Organic Supermarket Ltd
2c Main Street
tel: (01) 278 1111
Opening Times: Mon-Fri 08:00-20:00; Sat 10:00-20:00; Sun 11:00-18:00