November 5, 2010

Sesame Free Hummus - I Found You!


One of the hardest things that i have had to give up since I was told that I can't have sesame seeds is hummus. Some people don't realize that tahini is one of the main ingredients in hummus, next to chickpeas. And of course, tahini as we know, is a sesame seed paste. It is a simple pleasure but one that I weigh upon heavily. I used to eat it on toast, with nachos, with breadsticks, with carrots, on pizza (yes, on pizza - its amazing if you are having a cheese free pizza!!) and basically anything else I could think of. Sometimes I just ate it on its own!
Now that the veil has been lifted on my food allergies and intolerances I've been quietly suffering my hummus withdrawal but the symptoms of desire are not going away this time! Sooo... I decided to try and make a sesame free hummus myself -substituting the tahini for a sunflower seed butter (available in many healthfood shops as an alternative to peanut butter). Below is my result:

Sesame Free Hummus

2 x 250g cans of chickpeas (drained & reserve 100ml of the draining from one can)
2 x lemons (juiced)
75ml extra virgin olive oil
3 x large garlic cloves (chopped)
1 1/2 tbls sunflower seed paste or butter (tahini substitute)
sea salt

Blend the chickpeas with the garlic and reserved water with a hand held or stationary blender for 1-2 minutes or until all the chickpeas have been broken down. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and sunflower seed butter and blend until smooth. Salt to taste and blend again briefly. Serve with nachos, pitta bread, rustic bread or vegetable sticks.

No comments: