November 17, 2010

Eating Safe in the City - Coppinger Row


Finding food allergy friendly places to eat is not an easy task and I’m sure you are well aware of how it can become disheartening. Imagine my surprise when a lunch in town went from a 1 rating to a 10!! If that doesn’t make sense to you then I will explain: After viewing the menu of Coppinger Row sufficiently my Mom and I decided that we should be able to mix and match something together from what’s available on the menu that would suit our diets which are both heavily dictated by food allergies.
We were initially disappointed after being seated that some of the items on the outside menu that we were banking on were not listed on our presently available menu. However, after ordering our customized meals (Mom was getting roast chicken with mixed leaves, no dressing, just oil and I was getting the wild boar with mixed leaves, no dressing, just oil and a piece of lemon to squeeze on it because "we have food allergies"). We were then completely shocked when our waiter asked us what foods we were allergic to because the chef likes to know!?!? How wonderfully proactive!…
After a moderate wait we received our respective dishes. At this point I was suddenly disappointed to see a type of gravy on my meat and no lemon but much to my surprise I found that the lemon had been pre-squeezed and mixed into my salad and that the ‘gravy’ was in fact just the juice from the cooking of the meat with port greatly reduced in to order to get an excellent tasty and allergy free sauce that suited my needs! The meat was so tender (as expected) and everything was fresh fresh fresh. My Mom was equally pleased with her simple but tasty food allergy friendly lunch.
If truth be known I was doubtful that everything was allergy free purely because it was so full of flavor! In fact, I was so doubtful about the gravy that after the meal I asked the waiter again and he went back to the chef to confirm and told me everything was as I said... Amazingly I walked away with a full tummy and a happy face.

Attributes:

-wheat free and onion free gravy

-open to customized meals outside of the menu

-good quality fresh food

-vinegar free salad was not a problem

-list of personal food allergies happily received (and actually requested!)

The Coppinger Row venue has seen a few establishments pass though it over the last couple of years so I can only hope that this top quality restaurant manages to stick around.
So food allergy diners please find your way to this laid back but contemporary restaurant for a Mediterranean lunch, dinner or Sunday brunch and help support one of Dublin's few food allergy friendly restaurants!

Coppinger Row
off South William St.
Dublin 2
Tel: (01) 672 9884
Opening Times: Tues-Sat 12:00-17:30 & 18:00-23:00; Sun 12:30-16:00 & 18:00-21:00
web: www.coppingerrow.com

No comments: