March 24, 2012
I’ve been thinking lately about why the genuinely Food Allergic can get so annoyed and even angry at the Faux-Allergic. Yes, it’s annoying when someone ‘tells you’ what it’s like to have an allergy and how they experience the same thing as you when their ‘allergy’ is obviously an optional restriction but really why get annoyed? Sure, this person doesn’t really understand and sure, they might be making light of your potentially life-threatening problem but I think that we should focus on the benefits.
First of all, all restrictions DO have something in common, and even if your allergy or intolerance is way stronger than their slight bloating or imagined side-effects this person does understand to a degree and (importantly) respects that food can cause adverse reactions and might just be telling you the truth and actually dealing with a mild but genuine intolerance and although there are arguments saying that they weaken the cause and make the public take the genuinely and seriously allergic less serious, I think that there is another side to it. I think that there are strength in numbers and that we need numbers to make living with a food allergy, intolerance or restriction easier.
If they feel better Free From a specific food item then all the better because the more Free From people there are the more Free From foods will be produced, the cheaper these Free From foods will get and the better they will taste because companies will invest in recipe improvement.. now surely we can see through the annoyance and recognize that whatever the reason this person is maintaining a restricted diet that there is a greater cause at hand and that just like Vegetarians and Vegans, they should be equally respected. That instead of condeming we should educate them in the importance and potential dangers and that we should all join in camaraderie because every food restriction be it mandatory, elective, political or just part of a fad helps food producers see that we want better choices, helps restaurants and chefs to think outside of taste alone and helps us by making our restricted diet better.
Also, just as a side note, sometimes someone might think that they have a food allergy, and they trail through elimination diets to no avail... but that doesn’t mean that they don’t have a problem.. it just might go beyond a particular food to a greater health issue... you never know.
Now, back to my original agenda: I’m scarcely getting a chance to write my own blog these days, let alone keep on top of the reading world but I did happen upon a few bits and pieces that may be of interest...
IN THE KITCHEN:
- A simple one, but one that might just become a new favourite snack! - Almond Butter, Banana & Oat Cakes
- An intriguing minty green smoothie... sounds so weird it might just be good, so you try it first and report back! - Healthy Dairy Free & Soya Free Shamrock Shake
LIFE LIVING & FOOD ALLERGIES:
- Possible reading for Wheat and Gluten Intolerance/Allergy suspicions, helping you decipher what’s going on and how to - Healthier Without Wheat
- A humorous little sing-along for mothers of food allergy kids fighting the battle - Hello, Muddah - Food Allergy Version
- On a more somber note some more serious parent-teacher-school-food allergic child stuff - Food Allergy Resources for Schools
- Has anyone tried eating Food Allergy Free here? Sounds awesome for Vegetarians and a good chance of awesomeness for Vegans too! - Thornton’s
- Tune in to ‘Free From Foods’ on the bbc.uk radio - here
- Daily Beautiful food - simplybreakfast
- A bit heavier than lovely food but still quite visually appealing - A Hard Trek to Humility
TOTALLY RANDOM & UNRELATED:
- For those of you who don’t know, goats are my all-time favourite animal. Therefore, ‘Goats on Stuff’ is definitely a favourite blog.. so funny..so cute.. and seriously, what is with goats?! they’re hilarious - Goats on Stuff
- A cool little project-based site worth keeping an eye on if you’re into design and what-not - Make An Object a Day
Happy Weekend and hope you get out and enjoy that glorious day!!